Tuesday, 11 August 2026

to be a better place

The headlines in world news today dont make for cheerful reading: El Nino has warmed up the Pacific Ocean to highest levels in decades, and out west, Europe has recorded its hottest June-July on record and Canada's wildfires are forcing thousands to flee their homes.

Then a 7.4 magnitude earthquake in Colombia comes shortly after a similar seismic shake in Japan last month and in Venezuela the month before. Its as if mother earth is protesting.

Its not all about nature's wrath. Man-made catastrophes like the Russia-Ukraine war is well past 50months and counting and the Israel/US-Iran war looks to also be similarly unresolvable. From military to money, the news are equally frightening. FIFA's chief Infantino has lost the confidence of confederation members over his proposal to sell the commercial aspects of footballing.


Given my involvement on these topics, professionally speaking, its not unexpected that I am uneasy and want to do something about it. Nowadays though, there is both a sense of urgency as well as optimism. 

Time is of the essence insofar as climate change actions are concerned. We need to act now... because we are already late. On a more personal bote though, I need to act because there is going to be a new generation to care for and as far as I can, I'd like to leave behind a better world for my grandchild (beyond my wonderful self-propelled kids).

Speaking of my kids, M just hosted her first meals in her own place last weekend. Over the long national day weekend, she got her old friends over for lunch and then D&I joined her & J for dinner. Later in the evening J&N came over to collect some soups D had prepared for them and I was happy to see a growing bump on N. 

No comments:

Post a Comment